Pages

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Mt. Sinai

I know that this should have been posted weeks ago but I have been slacking on my posting. On our way back from Egypt we stopped at hotel a little bit right at the bottom of Mt. Sinai. We stayed at the hotel for the night and were woken up at 2 am the next morning but men pounding on our door. We grabbed sack breakfasts consisting of two rolls, chips, cheese, and juice. (interesting! Ha) We were then on to the bus to head to the start of the hike. We finally started the hike at around 3 wearing jeans, a long sleav shirt, a t-shirt over that, two sweatshirts, a windbreaker, two pairs of socks, a scarf and a beanie and gloves that I bought the night before to be prepared. Even with all of that on I was still feeling pretty cold. We finally started the hike and I was feeling good but pretty tired.
We then continued on the hike and I was starting to get pretty worn out and I was shedding layers. It kept continuing to get harder and I wasnt sure if I was going to make it especially since it was pitch black out and I had no idea where and how far the final destination was. We finally made it to the top after many breaks and words of encouragement. Once we got to the top those layers that had been shed came back on immedietly. It was honestly freezing at the top of the mountain. Probably the coldest I have ever been in my entire life and I just didnt know what to do with myself. We all just layed up there getting as close to each other as possible and keeping body heat waiting for the sun to rise. It seemed like hours before the sun rose but once it did it was gorgeous. The whole time I was thinking about Moses and how many times he had to hike it and what a great man he was. After being on the mountain for a while and almost freezing to death we finally started hiking down. By thise time the sun was starting to come out and it was starting to warm up. It felt so nice. I have never loved the sun more. As I was hiking down it was really rocky and uneven and somehow I tripped over a rock and fell straight forward. My knees were super bruised up and scraped but oh well thats what makes the story even better. I am such a clutz. haha! The hike was such an amazing experience and I felt like a learned a lot of life lessons from it and definetly a lot of memories. This last picture is of some of us at the bottom of the mountain relaxing in the nice warm sun right before going back to sleep from the lack of sleep the night before.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amazing pictures!